Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Metropolitan, movie about preppy kids probably went over my head

Metropolitan (1990)
Jamal's Rating: 2 stars
Netflix Average Rating: 3.4 stars

A group of young socialite preppies likes to sit around and drink wine and have intellectual conversation. Along comes a new character to their group, the lead Edward Clements, and for a moment I thought he would be a refreshing change from their cumbersome pondering. But no, he is just as deliberate and contemplative, his opinions are just different. The screenplay offers some winks and nudges, such as when a girl at the party exclaims with distate, "Ugh, I can't stand snobby people." But there is no musical cue, no hint of embarrassment from the others, and the characters' hypocrisies and transgressions go unpunished. You see, they are well-meaning people, but the whole time, I was hoping for some chance character or outside power to come in and just bring the whole affair down to earth, but it never happened. One guest will expound on some obscure passage from a book, and immediately another will relate. They may agree or disagree, but never will one say, "I have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. Here, have another drink buddy." They're all playing the same stuffy game. Oh, maybe I'm just a snob myself. Some people are gonna love this movie -- a strong cast, clever dialogue, it's got a soul -- it just wasn't for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment